Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Brian

In such age of “inter-digitation,” I wonder how appropriate it is for this entry. But mostly because of the Tomzanian’s low-key status, it shall exist as it is.

Brian is a young cook who works in a small restaurant in front of our hostel building. He was, in fact, one of the first stranger to greet us, and we’ve exchanged a number of small talk. Easy going and talkative, he looks like he’s in the early 20s, but acts a lot like a teenager.

Yet, three moments of suspicion:

In the first two encounters, he repeated said “I like you.” Nice, indeed, but too nice too early?

Last Saturday we ate at the restaurant he works in. He gave our group Tsh 2000 less in change. Definitely easy math. Simple mistake, or rightful suspicion?

Yesterday, he said he was going home because he was diagnosed with malaria. He also said that he was going home to his family, and won’t be back until next week. Would our sympathy turn into material gains for him? Oh, he was around Msimbazi today.

It is indeed an interesting encounter. My suspicion remains. I’ve had my personal skepticism damage friendships before, so I know it could be problematic, and be entirely my fault. Guilt definitely tags along with suspicion. I do have an innate desire to believe in people, but another to be doubtful. This is a story to be continued.

December 24, 2009

No comments: