Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Role Reversal

A key feature foreigners claim as their's is the ability to be dumbfounded by a local cultural experience, remark on its strangeness, and blog about it.  For example, about eight months ago when Daufiki was still an infant, his mom busted out her breast to feed him in my presence, to which I was at first surprised, then thought how strange (and big) it was, and almost blogged about it.

Yesterday on my way to the market, I passed by some students and a former colleague.  I thought it would be a nice gesture to share something with them, so I gave them a passion fruit each.


note its thick skin

They were at first a bit surprised, looked at each other with a smile, and after a short pause asked "how am I supposed to eat this?" 


You just peel it with your teeth or you take it home! Can't you just acknowledge it as a nice gesture!

I wonder at times how stupid we foreigners must look.

1 comment:

Kabs said...

Tommy this is seriously a fucking amazing piece. I love it.